Sentinel Security Group

What Types Of Security Licences Are Available In New South Wales?

In NSW, there are two types of licences for people who wish to perform work as a security guard: a Class 1 and a Class 2 licence. Find out more about them here.

The most common security licence is the Class 1 licence. In this type of security licence, there are six Class 1 subclasses:

  • Class 1A Unarmed Guard – patrol, protect or guard any property while unarmed (you can be static or mobile)
  • Class 1B Bodyguard – work as a bodyguard or in a similar capacity
  • Class 1C Crowd Controller – work as a crowd controller or a similar role at licensed premises, entertainment venues, events or functions
  • Class 1D Guard Dog Handler– patrol, protect or guard any property with a dog
  • Class 1E Monitoring Centre Operator – monitor security alarm activations for the purpose of property protection
  • Class 1F Armed Guard – protect, patrol or guard approved classes of property while armed (you must have a licence or a permit to possess a firearm, see Firearms Act 1996)

According to Police NSW

The second type of licence is called a “Class 2” licence. This type of licence is more like a specialist role in the security industry as it allows you to become a security consultant, repair security equipment, provide security training, and broker security contracts, to name a few. This licence also has subclasses and requirements for a person wanting to apply for this type of rating.

Like the class 1, there are subclasses for the class 2 licence. In total, there are 4 types of class 2 licence:

  • Class 2A Security Consultant – work as a security adviser or consultant, identifying and analysing security risks and selling solutions and strategies to minimise these risks
  • Class 2B Security Seller –
    • Sell security equipment and provide advice on its use. You are not licensed to install, maintain or repair security equipment
    • Receive payment for referring a client to another licensed security operator
    • Negotiate or obtain contracts to supply security equipment or security operators to carry out security activity
    • Be paid to negotiate contracts on someone else’s behalf to carry out security activity
  • Class 2C Security Equipment Specialist – sell, install, maintain, repair, service and provide advice in relation to security equipment. This includes electronic security equipment like CCTV cameras and alarm systems and barrier equipment like fencing and security roller doors. You can also work as a locksmith
  • Class 2D Security Trainer – provide training, assessment or instruction in relation to any security activity. This does not include training, assessment or instruction in the use of firearms.
  • Class 2E Private Investigator – work as a private investigator carrying out investigation and/or surveillance activities.

According to Police NSW

There are many differences between the licences. Class 1 holders are more involved in hands-on security and the protection of people and property, whereas Class 2 holders specialise in security advice, training, and the repair of security equipment.

It is also important to note that you can hold more than one sub-class of a class 1 or 2 licence at a time.